Wednesday, August 11, 2004

something that really irks me.....

Ever known anyone who thought that in order to look good, they had to make those around them look bad? Or those who figure the louder they bark, the more important they feel? I guess it's pretty common all over the place, from work environments to churches to team sports. But I just have a hard time understanding that kind of logic.

Growing up, playing alot of basketball, I knew that I wasn't going to be another Wilt Chamberlain or Kareem Abdul-Jabar. I took one look at my parents, 5'9" and 5'2", and did the math. I was always the point guard, and my job was to feed the ball to whoever was open. Sure, I shot, but not if someone else was open and had a better look at the basket. I knew that if I did my job well, the whole team would benefit and hopefully win. I would have liked to have been the leading scorer every game, but that didn't matter as much to me as winning. I knew my job and did it to the best of my ability.

How do you deal with someone who says they want the team to win, yet their attitude doesn't prove it? I'm sure a full-blown psychological evaluation would give you much more information than you'd actually want to know. I know that prayer can change people, so that's always helpful. The other thing to do is to set an example and treat those around you the way you want to be treated. Simple, yet effective over time. It's called the Golden Rule, and you don't hear that much about it any more. Funny how the seemingly simple things in life are often so easily ignored, isn't it?

No comments: