Monday, August 30, 2004

what's the score?

Friday night, Meg went to her first high school football game as a high school student. It just so happened that the Centennial/BGA game was the featured Comcast Sports South game of the week, so it was televised locally. Susie, Sara and I (of course) stayed at home and watched the game. I mean, I guess it wouldn't have been too cool for us to go with Meg. She'd much rather go with her friends. (She doesn't have an option this Friday night, because we're ALL going to the first home game.)

The cameras panned through the crowds during time outs, so we kept looking for Meg, Megan and Cole. During halftime, the principals for the schools were interviewed. Behind the interview of the Centennial principal, we could see the three of them with their backs to the camera. We called Meg, but she didn't answer. Cole called and Sara told them we could see them. Listening to and watching Sara tell them which way to move so that they could be seen better was amusing, to say the least.

We called Meg a couple of more times during the second half. Once, after a big play, Susie called and said, "Did you just see that?!?!?" Of course she didn't. She and her friends were too busy walking around and hanging out. Meg said they kept up with the score, just not how the scores came to be.

Having two growing daughters is funny. I've got pictures of them in my office from various stages in life. Of course the most recent ones are great, but I love the ones from when they were younger. (I have a friend who has pictures of his three children on the walls of his office, and all the pictures are anywhere from 5-15 years old. Someone asked him why he didn't have more up-to-date pictures of his kids, and he said, "Because in these pictures, that's when they liked me and I liked them.") I have one of Meg and me on my desk. She's about 3 and giving me a huge bear hug. There's one of Sara from the day she was baptized. Now these girls are growing up. They used to greet me at the door when I came home from work with screams and cheers. Now I'm lucky if they're even home when I come in.

Parenting is all about making adjustments and transition. We're now transitioning from the "little girls" stage to the "young ladies" stage. There are alot of times that I just hear about things after the girls tell Susie. And for that, I'm pretty grateful. And VERY grateful that I've got Susie with me to show our girls how to be young ladies.

1 comment:

cac said...

My father used to keep one set of pictures of his kids on his desk (same ones for 10yrs!) and people would either give him a hard time about it (he would just say he sees us everyday and to not be obsessed about his children :) ) or think he had a really young wife to have such young children.