Tuesday, April 10, 2007

mulch and memories.....

I put out 3 truck loads of mulch yesterday. It was cool at first, but the sun came out and warmed things up as the day went along. As I got my first load of mulch yesterday morning, I thought about the first time the bride and I got mulch at our first home.

It was 17 years ago, and the bride was about 6 months into her first pregnancy. We'd found out about this place about 90 miles from our house that would give you all the mulch you could fit into your truck for $3. It was in a little town called Bear Spring at a lumber mill. The drive up there was pretty uneventful. We got our mulch, piled as high as it would go, and started the drive back home. I couldn't see out the back of my Mazda pickup. We had to take back roads all the way home, hoping we wouldn't be pulled over for having mulch fly out of the truck. It took us so long to get back that the bride's mom was convinced she'd gone into labor and we were at a hospital somewhere. All of that to save a little money.

Not having much disposable income can make you do strange things. But it can also build some nice memories.....

No comments: