Monday, November 06, 2006

how was i wrong, let me count the ways.....

If I didn't know for a fact that Chris had sold his LSU/UT tickets, I would have sworn that Kathy was at Saturday's game. (Kathy just let out a huff after reading this.)

I made some predictions on Friday that weren't anywhere near close. I thought Fulmer was making a bigger deal of Ainge's injury than necessary; obviously it was more serious than anyone knew. I said that UT had a distinct advantage over LSU when it came to coaching; I'm not sure if it was coaching or execution that cost us, but I'm leaning towards a combination of both. I said that LSU looked good on paper but the game would still have to be played; fact is LSU is good both on paper and on the field.

Despite 4 turnovers, LSU still left Neyland Stadium with a win Saturday night. Our defense made Jamarcus Russell look like Michael Vick. And even when he threw interceptions, commentator Gary Danielson praised Russell. If I didn't know better, I'd swear they were related because of all the gushing Danielson did towards Russell during the game.

Jonathan Crompton showed Vol fans why the coaching staff is so high on this young man. He came into a difficult situation and proved that he can play with the big boys. I especially enjoyed watching him put the LSU defensive back on his defensive backside on one particular run. And Robert Meachem showed again why he should be an all-American at the end of the season. The running game was almost non-existent and it may get worse. Starting running back Arian Foster, David Holbert and Antonio Wardlow were arrested shortly after 3 a.m. Sunday when Knoxville police responded to a disturbance call at Goodfellas nightclub. If Fulmer's zero-tolerance policy is still in effect, all three will miss at least the Arkansas game. Stupid, just plain stupid.

The fact of the matter is that UT lost to a better team. True, there was a controversial call with about 3 minutes to go, but one play can't be blamed for an entire game. They were in the game up until the very end and they had a chance to at least force LSU to just tie the game. But the defense chose to go with blanket coverage rather than put pressure on Russell. It was a gamble that didn't pay off.

Some Vol fans might think the season is over. But we tend to have short memories. Last year's 5-6 season was a mess. We're 7-2 with three games remaining. My guess is we finish 9-3, with an outside chance of going 10-2. I'll take either one.....

No comments: