Tuesday, November 07, 2006

cma observations.....

Alot of people assume that if you live in or around Nashville that you're a country music fan. I don't have anything against it, it's just not my favorite genre of music. It's come a long way over the past 30 years, and some of it's actually very good. But when I'm in the car I usually listen to sports talk radio or a CD. That's just me.

Just because I'm not a fan didn't keep me from watching the CMAs last night. Well, I didn't watch it wire to wire. I think I switched over to Andy Griffith around 8:10 and watched the rest of that episode. You know, the one where this professor comes to town an lectures on South America, Andy invites him to dinner even though Clara Edwards has the hots for him, and he ends up falling for Aunt Bee because she looks and acts just like his deceased wife? Yeah, that one. So you can see how it was an easy choice for me to make.

Here's some of the stuff I noticed last night on the CMAs:

The women of country music sounded better than the men. Not that all the guys sounded bad, just that overall the ladies were better live.

What is Eva Longoria's connection to country music and why was she there presenting? Not that I'm complaining, I just couldn't understand her presence. Again, for the record, and just so we're clear on this, I was NOT against Eva Longoria being on camera so much last night. Not upset about it. Nope. Not in the least.

We saw the pre-show on CMT when they interviewed Kellie Pickler on the red carpet. The host there said her album went #1 this week. Good for her. She is so natural at all of this and she cracks me up.

Congratulations to Carrie Underwood on winning best female vocalist. She's only 18 months away from having won American Idol and she snags this huge award. Too bad she's so homely. That probably hinders her record sales.

I'm obviously not familiar with the band Little Big Town. Are they the only country goth band out there? Or did they just get their dates mixed up and thought Halloween was last night?
Martina McBride's song was the first one of the night that was on key. She's always on.

Just in case anyone else is confused about this, Kris Kristofferson actually turned 70 this past June. For some reason I thought he was 112.

Good to see Sara Evans perform last night after all that's been going on in her life lately. Probably was good medicine for her.

Brooks & Dunn are now this generation's version of the band Alabama. They win everything every year.

And finally, the class-act of the night goes to George Stait for letting his father accept his plaque as he was inducted into the Hall of Fame last night. Hm? That wasn't his father? Oh, my mistake.....

No comments: