Tuesday, December 07, 2004

homework.....

I'm not an idiot. I graduated from both high school and college. I have the college degree on the wall here in my office to prove it. I handle peoples' money for a living. It's what I'm paid to do. I work with numbers day in and day out. Not to brag, but I've been pretty successful at it for over 18 years, if I do say so myself. But 9th grade Algebra I is kicking my butt.....

I can solve for one "x" by just looking at the problem. I can usually solve for both "x's" on both sides of the equation by just looking at the problem. But lately, I get confused when I help Meg with her homework. And she's coming to me for help, and I'm not doing her any good. Very frustrating and humbling at the same time. Although I did find a web site that lets me input the equation and it spits out the answer. It even goes step-by-step, showing you how the problem is solved. This should make the homework a little easier, but I don't want to get ahead of myself and claim victory yet.

Here's my personality - I'm a problem-solver. Bring me your problem, I'll solve it. My biggest frustrations in life come from not being able to solve problems. Add to that things over which I have no control when trying to solve problems, and I'm a basket case. There, I admit it. So when I can't help my children with their homework, that frustrates me. When I can't take care of something for someone, I get frustrated. Oh, well, I guess this is all a part of growing up, even when you're 40.

Maybe that's the problem - age. I used to be able to do this stuff. Maybe some of the brain cells that I used for Algebra before have been burned off to make room for things like remembering how to change diapers or how to mix up baby formula. Yeah, that's it, that's what the problem is.....

No comments: