Monday, December 13, 2004

gearing up to wind down.....

You can see it on people's faces. Everyone's trying to rush to get things done before Christmas so that they can finally relax. Vendors in our industry know that almost no one buys products during the month of December, so their "sales calls" become either chat sessions or a time to drop off a Christmas gift. Our back office has all kinds of nuts, cookies and other types of food that vendors have dropped off. (We got a letter from one of our vendors that said a donation was made in our name to their company's scholarship fund. Remember George Costanza and the Human Fund? Yeah, I think so too......)

It's like there's some invisible "finish line" that people are waiting to cross. I'm no different. I'm on the last leg of the race, and almost looking over my shoulder because the most hectic part is over for me. When I leave the office Thursday afternoon, I won't be back until the 28th. And even when I get back, the office is usally pretty dead that week, so I can get caught up on things and work on getting ready for 2005.

I guess out of all the professions there are, I feel the most sorry for school teachers during this time of the year. Especially elementary school teachers. Kids aren't that focused to begin with, so when you add the anticipation of Christmas into the mix, it gets even worse.

Three more days of work after today. I can see the finish line from here.....

No comments: