Wednesday, July 30, 2008

hey, it's me.....

This is by no means a new sales technique, but I've gotten about half-dozen calls so far this week from salesmen/women I've never met or talked to before who try to convince my employees that we're old school buddies.

One of my employees came into my office yesterday and said, "Are you expecting a call from someone named Aaron?" "No," I answered. "I don't think I even know anyone named Aaron." She said, "Well, when I asked who was calling, he responded with 'Aaron.' And when I asked for his last name, he said 'He knows who I am.'" Later in the afternoon, "Amy" called with the same kind of tactic. Both calls turned out to be blind sales calls. And pretty much a waste of my time. That's about 18 minutes of my life that I'll never get back.

Look, if you work the phones for a living, that's fine. But trying to get business by back-dooring your way in is a sure way to get ignored.....

No comments: