Wednesday, January 02, 2008

two words i never thought i'd hear my grandmother say.....

I love my grandmother. Since I was the only grandchild on my dad's side of the family for 6 years, she spoiled me. I pretty much got anything I ever wanted. And when you're a kid, you tend to like people who spoil you.

I usually try to call her every couple of weeks on my way home from work. I ask her how she's feeling, what the weather's like, stuff like that. The week before Christmas, we were talking about us coming up to see her during the week of Christmas. She told me she had gotten a Hawaiian cheeseball for us to eat. And we started talking about Hawaii and the things we both liked about it when we went there. That's when the conversation got interesting. Here's what was said:

Mamaw - "Have you ever heard of a drink call tequila?"

OFIT - "Uh, yeah."

Mamaw - "Well, when I was there, the lady who was our tour group leader told me that I just had to try this drink they had there called tequila. Except she said it was a virgin tequilla. So I had one and it was so good I had another one. I bet I had about 5 or 6 of them. Lord, if they'd had liquor in them I'd have been high as a kite after all that!"

Mamaw is almost 87. And she's never had a drop of alcohol to drink in her life. Ever. And she's not that well versed in the different kinds of alcoholic beverages, either. I may be wrong, but to my knowledge there's no such thing as a virgin tequilla. She must have meant margarita or some other kind of drink instead of tequila.

At this point I quickly changed the topic of discussion because my grandmother had used the words "tequila" and "virgin" in the same sentence.....

No comments: