Tuesday, September 18, 2007

it's gender-biased.....

One of the sessions I attended last week was on communication. The session was led by a woman. And she was very good. She brought up a few points that I was able to take back to work with me and use on a daily basis. Some of the "exercises" were stupid, but that's probably just my opinion. I'm sure someone there found them to be useful.

Someone there mentioned that they'd never attended a seminar on communication that was led by a man. (I could mention who brought this up, but I'm trying to protect this person's name.) All those at the lunch table agreed with this person. It wasn't said in a sexist kind of way, because there was a mix of both men and women at our table.

There are several books on the men vs. women subject of talking and communicating. The most recent one is by Dr. Louann Brizendine, clinical professor of psychiatry at the University of California, San Francisco. In her current best-seller, "The Female Brain" , Brizendine tells us that "A woman uses about 20,000 words per day while a man uses about 7,000." That's about a 3:1 ratio, folks.

I guess grunts, nods, sighs and other bodily emissions don't count for guys.....

No comments: