Monday, October 09, 2006

to whomever let the dogs out - they're back in their cages now.....






Going into the UT-Georgia game, I was a little nervous. I was concerned that their highly ranked defense would clamp down on Tennessee and keep us from scoring. They did for about 28 minutes.

During the first half I was a wreck. I threw blankets. I threw a big pillow. I actually had to wipe a bit of spittle off the television screen after a heated explosion due to the officiating. I accused Georgia of being in the refs' pockets. Seemed that any time UT did something, it had to be reviewed. (Even after it was over I told the bride that it wouldn't surprise me if the officials overturned 2 or 3 of our touchdowns overnight.) I was upset with John Chavis and his defense. I couldn't believe that our punt coverage team gave up a touchdown to Georgia again this year. I almost resigned myself to believing it was over when it was 24-7. Almost. Then it happened.

We scored at the end of the first half. Then we forced a turnover and scored another touchdown. Game on. From that point on (with the exception of the kickoff returned for a touchdown), the rout was in progress. Finally! A Tennessee offense that lived up to its potential. They scored 6 out of the last 7 times they touched the ball. And the only reason they didn't score on the 7th posession was because we ran the clock out.

This was a huge win for the program, propelling them to 8th in the polls. They get a week off before playing Alabama at Neyland Stadium. Sara and I will be there for that one.

The line of the night goes to my lovely bride. It was in the second half, and the refs were reviewing another one of our touchdowns. Before I said anything, she calmly said, "Just put the remote down. I don't want you throwing it; it's brand new." Does she know me or what? Ain't love grand.....

No comments: