Tuesday, October 03, 2006

the cheetah girls.....


Have you heard about this group? The Cheetah Girls (according to research I just did; prior to this I just thought they were a group that Disney put together from a TV show) is a girl singing group who seek to be discovered and become famous and land that ever-important recording contract. In their first movie, four teenage girls in New York seeking a record deal. They are discovered by a record producer while rehearsing for a school talent competition. All of this came from a series of 16 novels written by Deborah Gregory.

Ever tried to get reasonably priced tickets for one of their tour stops? Good luck. I know someone who "desperately" needed 8 tickets for a show in North Carolina, and she was having trouble finding tickets under $75 each. The bride and I saw Billy Joel AND Elton John and paid $150 for both tickets. E-bay sellers have tickets as high as $200 each for floor level seats. Unless The Beatles are getting back for a reunion, ain't nobody worth $200 a ticket.

I can just picture parents of girls who are fans of the Cheetah Girls agonizing over whether or not to get front row tickets. It's 11:00 PM and they're in bed, having just turned off the lights.

Wife - "Honey, are you asleep?"

Husband - "Huh? What? Who?"

Wife - "I said, are you asleep?"

Husband - "You turned off the lights 30 seconds ago. OF COURSE I was asleep! What is it?"

Wife - "Um, what do you think about getting Kiki and her friends front row tickets for the Cheetah Girls concert next month? That could be her birthday party."

Husband - "If I say yes can I go back to sleep?"

Wife - "Sure!"

Husband - "OK, how much are they?"

Wife - "Well, I'm tracking some on e-bay for $250."

Husband - "Hmmm, that's a little high for a group like that, but for all 4 tickets I guess that's alright."

Wife - "Um.....that's per ticket. It would be $1,000 for all 4."

Husband - "You almost had me there. Good one!"


Wife - "I'm not kidding, dear. They're $250 each."

Husband - "Let me get this straight. We've got a refrigerator on its last leg and you want to spend $1,000 for tickets to a concert of some teenaged girs who will probably lip sync their way through 90 minutes of cover material?????"

Wife - "Oh, but dear, Kiki would be so happy."

And so it goes. The husband is in a no-win situation. If he gives in and makes the girls in the house happy, he's miserable. If he says no, the girls in the house are miserable and that will make his life miserable.

And people wonder why they don't have enough money saved up for their kids' college education.....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My OFIT friend -

I heard someone say it like this:
"Negotiating with the bride is like negotiating with the IRS. Whatever the outcome - you WILL PAY!".

Something to chew on!

Reader #4 - Dave

wstaple said...

Dave is obviously both wise and married.....

Anonymous said...

Just tell Kiki that a TN - Alabama football game is just as good as the Cheetah Girls.