Wednesday, February 22, 2006

this one's for the girls.....

The top 12 girls performed on American Idol last night. Since I know everyone is dying to know what I thought, here's my assessment:

Mandisa - Nashville favorite, plus I met her a few years ago when we worked in the same building. Amazing voice, she'll be in the final 12 for sure.

Kellie Pickler - Cute, good voice, has the ability to cry at the drop of a hat. (Reminds me of a young Joan Van Ark, which is just more proof of how old I am.) Good job last night. Will make it to the final 12.

Becky O'Donahue - She did OK. Prettiest of the bunch, and that may be enough to get her into the final 12, but she's not a shoe-in.

Ayla Brown - Good voice, very tall, basketball player. She did OK. Probably survives this week, but doubtful to make it to the final 12.

Paris Bennett - One of my favorites. Sings and performs effortlessly. Book it, she'll end up in the top 5.

Brenna Gethers - Never before have I wanted a contestant to come out and fall down on the stage more than with this girl. She'll hang on for one more week, maybe two weeks, but she won't be in the top 12. Did anyone else see the Sammy Davis Jr./Popeye expression she had on her face a couple of times, or was that just me?

Stevie Scott - Opera girl goes home tomorrow night. They've said it a million times already - song selection is key. She has talent, but it's not right for this show.

Melissa McGhee - The surprise of the night. Sounded much better than I thought she would. She needs to do some Melissa Ethridge material.

Heather Cox - Pretty girl, but could be going home tomorrow night. Average voice at best.

Lisa Tucker - 16 years old, and one of the best. She's a pro. Another book-it, she's in the top 12 for sure.

Kinnick Sky - She makes it one more week, then exits. Very elegant performance, but doesn't have enough to make it to the top 12.

Katherine McPhee - Another one of the best. She's got talent, personality, voice, total package. Top 12.

So my prediction for the 6 girls that make it through (in no particular order) - Melissa, Kellie, Lisa, Paris, Katherine and Mandisa. 4 of these are no-brainers.






Tonight it's the guys' turn. My favorite going in is Taylor Hicks, the grey-headed guy from Alabama. A combination of Billy Joel/Ray Charles/Joe Cocker. Should be good.....

No comments: