Monday, February 06, 2006

not-so-super bowl.....

I once had a root canal that was more exciting than last night's Super Bowl.

Yeah, yeah, the Steelers were a team of destiny; no other 6th-seeded team had ever made it to the Super Bowl; and Jerome Bettis is going home. I was sick of all of it before it even started. And the Seahawks blew it more than the Steelers won it. Sorry if you're a Pittsburgh fan, but it's true. (And I'm not a Seahawks fan.) However, it was good to see Cowher win a Super Bowl. He seems like a great family kind of guy.

Here's what stood out for me:

The officiating was horrendous. This was supposed to be an all-star crew? Stevie Wonder should have stayed on as the head ref after his pre-game performance.

The commercials. Best one of the evening was the Budweiser commercial with the streaking sheep. Next best was Ameriquest with the lady getting up to go to the bathroom on a plane. Worst one? Hummer. Pretty stupid.

The Seahawks' tight end. If he catches the 4 or 5 he dropped, Seattle wins.

The defenses. Seattle was much better than I expected, Pittsburgh was very overrated. For all of their hype, Porter and Polamalu were non-factors.

Pre-game MVP ceremony. Seeing the former MVP's before the game brought back a flood of memories for me. Sorry to sound like an old fart, but those guys were true legends. They played when it was still just a game.

I'd also like to thank the bride for the lovely Super Bowl meal and snacks, without which I would be able to button my pants this morning.....

No comments: