Wednesday, August 17, 2005

uh, oh, yeah, hi.....

Ah, the joys of running into half of a divorced couple.

It's amazing to the bride and me that so many of our friends over the years are now divorced. We used to belong to a church where we made a huge amount of couple-friends. We're up to two hands now on counting how many have parted ways. Some surpised us, others didn't.

The first time you run into one of the divorced partners who's now with someone else can be a little awkward. Happened to us the other day at church.

"He-ey! I can't believe it, how are you?"

At first we were both thinking, "OK, I know you, I know I know you, but I'm as lost as last year's Easter eggs on your face right now. You really look familiar, but I have no idea who the person standing beside you is. The person I'm used to see you standing beside looks nothing like this person." All this is going on during a hug from the other person. Then it hits us. "Hey, how are you, *****?"

We've lost touch with so many of our old friends. You change churches, your kids do different things, and before you know it the connection's no longer there. When a divorce occurs, we usually hear information 3rd and 4th-hand, so we're never quite sure how much is true. Then again, how much do we really want to know about what happened?

Frank Burns from MASH said "Marriage is probably the chief cause of divorce." You just can't buy wisdom like that.....


No comments: