Monday, August 08, 2005

random ruminations.....

I had the best front 9 of my life Friday afternoon. Dad and I played at Tri-Cities in Blountville, and we started off on the Lakes course. 1 birdie, 6 pars and 2 bogies. I'm thinking I'll break 80 for the first time in my life. Before I tee off on the back 9, I'm thinking that all I need is a 43 or less to do it. 2 holes into the back 9, the Woods course, I realize the dream won't happen that day. I double-bogied #10, then had a big, fat, obnoxious 7 on a par 3. Ugly. I settled down after that but ended up with a 47 on the back. My 83 wasn't anything to complain about, by any means, but a 42 would have been alot nicer. However, getting the opportunity to play 18 with my dad was worth more than a 79 would have ever been. (On a side note, I was feeling pretty good about my 36 on the front 9 Friday. I had a message from a friend from Wednesday who called from the golf course to tell me he got his first hole-in-one. There's always somebody who can one-up you, huh?)

Tony Kornheiser has a term that I think is hilarious. I've hearn him refer to an overweight person as being "a big ol' tub of goo." After my doctor's appointment this morning, I believe I am now one of those big ol' tubs of goo. When I saw the reading on the scale it shocked me, even though it shouldn't have. Sure, some of it's from being on vacation last week and eating everything that wasn't nailed down, but most of it has crept back onto my frame over the past year. I've GOT to get back to eating right (translation - nothing) and exercising on a regular basis. Maybe I'll pick up some Goo-Gone next time I'm in Wal-Mart.

We went to the Williamson County Fair last night. Our purpose for going was to attend the worship service called "The Gathering", but that didn't pan out for us. First, it didn't start on time. Second, they changed the lineup of those scheduled to lead worship. Third, it was hot inside the exhibit center. So we ended up walking around and watching the girls ride rides. (I actually rode one; more on that later.) We saw a ton of old friends, some that we keep in contact with via e-mail, some we've just lost touch with over the years. What is there about good friends that allow you to see each other, hug and still feel like you see them on a daily basis?

As for my lone ride appearance last night, it will be my last. Sara wanted to ride something called the Moon Shot or something like that. The picture to the left is the basic ride. I need some Pepto after just looking at the picture itself. Sara wanted to ride Moon Shot, but couldn't talk any of her friends into riding it with her. The bride didn't want her to ride it alone, so against my better judgement I told Sara I'd ride it with her. Understand that fear of the ride itself doesn't come into play. I'm not scared of the speed or the height. My fear is of the feeling I get AFTER the ride is over. Even since I hung over the bushes barfing beside the Tea Cups ride in Disney World about 10 years ago (while at a conference and WITH a co-worker who's never let me live it down), I've had this thing about motion rides. The ride starts, and it's no big deal. Then the sadistic Moon Shot operator decides to let us hang upside-down, just like in the picture, but for about 3 1/2 hours. TWICE! I didn't regain normalcy for the rest of the evening.

OK, now that vacation is over, I can officially start my countdown to Christmas. 138 days* and counting.....

*I did a quick search on Yahoo for a Christmas countdown site, and it directed me to an Auburn University site. I say this because since it's an Auburn site, the information there may or may not be correct. After all, last year their football team thought they were #1, when they were obviously no better than #2. Evidently they never saw USC play last year.....

No comments: