Wednesday, August 24, 2005

it's not having what you want.....

While I may not agree with her politics, Sheryl Crow's "Soak Up The Sun" has a line in it that really makes you think: "It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got." Don Henley's song "Heart of the Matter" brings up a similar question: "What are these voices.....makes us throw off our contentment and beg for something more."

Our pastor finished up his 10-week series on the 10 Commandments this past week. His final one was, of course, the 10th one from Exodus 20:17: "You shall not covet your neighbor's house. You shall not covet your neighbor's wife, or his manservant or maidservant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor." He mentioned that most of us had the ox and donkey thing conquered, but he brought up several points that made you think.

Is it possible to be content any more? I think it is, but I believe it's something you have to decide to do. I think perspective is key in this situation. You have to look at what your life could be or could have been, then realize your blessings. The worst thing you can do when it comes to being content is to compare yourself to others. There's always going to be someone who makes more money, drives a better car, has a bigger house, etc.

Wanting what you've got, that's contentment.

*Please note that my including Wally's picture in my blog in no way constitutes my true feelings for the dog. I was looking for a picture that said "content", and this is what I came up with. If I got to lay around all day long and sleep, I'd be pretty content, too.

No comments: