Monday, August 29, 2005

please don't let anyone get on this elevator when the doors open.....

At about 6:35 this morning, I pulled into the parking lot here at work. Normal day, nothing unusual. I got on the first elevator with two other people and pleasantries are exchanged. I got off at the first stop and walked across the building to get on the next elevator. And that's when it happened.....

I got onto the next elevator by myself, and the ride was only for one level. But someone had been on this particular elevator just before me. How could I tell? Because this person, whether it was a man or a woman (but most likely a man), had left something behind. He had obviously left behind the effects of his intestinal malady.

It didn't hit me until the doors started to close but when it did hit me, it hit me head on. Almost immediately after my first thought of, "what the!" from the odor, my next thought was, "somebody's gonna' think I did this!". Since this was such a short trip down, I had to think quick. What would I say if there was someone standing there waiting to get on the elevator when the doors opened? Or worse yet, what if there were SEVERAL people there? The stories would start, and I'd feel like I was a marked man for the rest of the day. My face got hot, and panic set it. I braced myself for the worst.

But the doors opened and no one was there waiting. I stepped out, looked both ways just in case someone was approaching, but still didn't see anyone. I hurried through the doors and down the steps to my office as fast as I could. And I was praying the whole way, "Lord, thank you for the solitude this morning....."

No comments: