Thursday, June 16, 2005

yep, they're right on this one.....

Texans are a confident lot for the most part. Most Texans will talk about how great this or that is Texas. How much better something is in Texas than wherever it is they live. And honestly, that can get pretty annoying. But I'll have to give it to them on one thing for sure - Blue Bell ice cream is the best ice cream out there.

For years I had heard about how much better Blue Bell ice cream was than Purity or Pet or whatever brand you wanted to name. I kept thinking, "Oh great, here we go again. Another Texan bragging about something else from Texas." Last year I had meetings in San Antonio and I stayed at the Marriott Riverwalk. In the shopping center connected to the hotel, there was an ice cream place that sold Blue Bell. I was hooked from the first spoonful. I had it every night I was there. My favorite was the banana pudding ice cream that I had to celebrate UT's win over Florida after the game.

Blue Bell now has a distribution center in Nolensville and it's now available in middle Tennessee. It's been in the Memphis area for a few years, and I know a man who travels to Memphis on business once a month. He takes a cooler with him, and on the way out of town he buys (at least) four 1/2 gallons of Blue Bell and a bag of ice.

I got the chance to play the front 9 at Forrest Crossing after work yesterday. (First time I'd played my own ball this year, and I shot a 41. I'll take it!) I got home and both girls were gone. The bride was out watering flowers and I said, "I'm going to Publix to get some Blue Bell. Wanna' come with me?" We bought a 1/2 gallon of banana split ice cream. As she was eating her ice cream, eyes half shut and glazed over, she said, "You know, we can't eat this every night." I reluctantly agreed. But I reasoned that since I had walked instead of ridden 9 holes that I could justify a huge bowl of Blue Bell.

If you've never had Blue Bell, get the vanilla first then work your way up to the other flavors. Pacing yourself is important.....

No comments: