Friday, June 24, 2005

stepford vs. glendower.....

The bride and I watched "The Stepford Wives" last night for the first time. Yes, I know, it came out a year or so ago, we're just late seeing it. But I checked it out at the Brentwood library last Friday and it had to be back today, so last night was our last chance to see it before I had to return it.

It was a little bizarre, but it had it's funny moments. Glad we didn't pay to see it in the theater or to rent it. Nicole Kidman was very good, and Christopher Walken is one of my favorites. Later in the evening I hugged and kissed the bride, and she complained about my garlic breath. I said, "A Stepford Wife would never criticize my breath." That was met with a sarcastic "ha-ha" on her part.

I started thinking of the differences between the Stepford neighborhood and our cul-de-sac on my way to work this morning. Allow me to compare and contrast:

In Stepford, the husbands are always right.
On Glendower, the husbands know left from right.

In Stepford, houses are kept in perfect order.
On Glendower, windows are washed once a year whether they need it or not.

In Stepford, the wives meet at the local spa for aerobic activity.
On Glendower, anything more strenuous than carrying a folding chair next door is akin to running a marathon.

In Stepford, cookies and cupcakes are baked from scratch.
On Glendower, cookies sliced from a cookie dough roll is considered homemade.

In Stepford, the family pet is a robotic dog.
On Glendower, neighors think you have a carpeted garage floor because of all the hair your dog sheds.

1 comment:

Kris Avalon said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. This is all still pretty new to me. Anyway, great post. I haven't seen the Stepford Wives, but I love your comparisons, and I also think Christopher Walken is pretty awesome, esp. on SNL.