Tuesday, June 21, 2005

i like the name daddy.....

I've got alot of different titles - husband, son, grandson, president, neighbor, friend, brother, just to name a few. But of all the different names I go by, one of my favorites is "daddy."

I got to celebrate my 14th Father's Day on Sunday. I'm blessed in so many ways, but one of the biggest blessings the bride and I have is that of healthy and (most of the time) happy children.

During both pregnancies, we would pray for a healthy baby; and both times we were blessed with a healthy baby. I still pray for their good health, but I also pray that they would be given wisdom and make good decisions. And I pray for wisdom as their father, that I would do things that would help them grow into the young ladies they need to be.

I love the movie Parenthood. Keanu Reeve's character, Tod, was a teenage husband/soon-to-be-father. In one scene He and his mother-in-law, Helen (Dianne Wiest), were talking about a problem Helen's youngest son, Gary, had with his father. Tod had one of the best movie lines ever about fatherhood: "You know, you need a license to buy a dog, you need a license to drive a car, you even need a license to catch a fish, but they'll let any ***** be a father."

Yep, being a "daddy" is a big responsibility, but it's one that I absolutely cherish.....

No comments: