Monday, January 10, 2005

remembering names.....

Our phone rang Saturday morning, and the bride answered. The lady calling wanted Meg to babysit later that evening. When the bride picked up and said hello, there was hesitation on the caller's part.
Caller: "...........Hi, Sara?"

the bride: "No, this is Susie."

C: "Oh, Susie, hi! I'm sorry, you have such a youthful voice!"

Uh-huh. Just admit it - you forgot her name. Don't you just love it when people try to cover up their boo-boos with some lame remark? No, I'm not saying that the bride doesn't sound young over the phone. But does she sound nine?

I attended a funeral recently, and was talking with a friend before we went in. An executive with a company that we work with walked up an started a conversation with my friend. He called my friend by the wrong name! And the tone of the conversation was like he'd been best friends with my friend for years and years! Me? I got snubbed by this person. Happens all the time with this guy, and I've learned that it's not just me. He's one of these people who doesn't speak to you unless: a) you speak to him first; b) he's your best friend; or c) he wants/needs something from you. I guess I could put forth a tremendous amount of effort and try to become friends with him, but I don't see the point. I'm not sure I'd want to be "friends" with someone like that anyway.

So which is worse? To have someone call you by the wrong name, or to be snubbed?

1 comment:

cac said...

Good question :) Obviously neither are ideal but I would say a wrong name is better than being stubbed; but when I don't remember a name I just kind of skip over the names (ex. instead of "is this?" saying "this is..")