Friday, January 14, 2005

clean sweep.....

January is the time for many people to clean, organize, and dispose of things. It's a new year, why not take the time and make some things like-new around you?

I came home the other day and didn't recognize the walk-in closet in our bedroom. The bride had thoroughly cleaned it out. We didn't know we had a floor in there before she rearranged all of our stuff! (Anybody else out there who would love to have the guys from Clean Sweep come in and transform their house?)

A friend of mine spent a couple of days cleaning his office, and even posted pictures on his blog. I commented that even though it had been awhile since my last visit, there was no way those pictures were of his office. Much too clean!

I've even caught a bit of the organization bug here at work. Installing new computers, getting rid of old ones. Stuff I'd thrown behind my cradenza and shelves just to get out of sight are being placed somewhere else or thrown away.

Here's the thing - why do we feel like we have to wait until January every year to do these major things? I'm the same way, but I still don't understand the reasoning behind waiting to make changes. Sure, we're creatures of habit, and we don't like to change our habits because it requires us to change things for the future, also. There's alot of effort behind changing something for good. Maybe it's because we're afraid we can't really do it. Maybe it's because we feel like it's just too much work and not enough reward.

But I can say with confidence that anything I've really wanted to do to better myself, regardless of how difficult it was to do, the exertion was always worth the effort. Waiting and putting off doing something worthwhile only delays the reward. Since I need to drop a few pounds, I'll try to remember that the next time I start to fix a hot fudge sundae for the bride and me while watching TV at night.....

No comments: