Monday, July 05, 2004

things i learned on my summer vacation.....

What a great week! We were in North Myrtle Beach by about 2:45 PM on Saturday the 26th. The drive, including lunch and bathroom breaks, was right at 7 hours from Johnson City. Checked into the realty center, got our keys, pool pass bands and parking permits, and headed up the beach 15 blocks to Ocean Bay Club. Very nice accomodations. In fact, we all wish we were still there....

The waves were great! Meg and I both had our boogie boards snapped while riding some of the bigger ones. The weather was very nice, with temperatures topping out in the mid-to-upper 80's, and the humidity wasn't too awfully high. It rained Wednesday afternoon, but that was Landon's birthday and we had planned on going to the movies anyway. Chris and I played at Carolina Shores on Tuesday and Bay Tree/gold course on Friday. The scores weren't much to tell about, but it was great getting out to play. All in all, a great week!

Here are some highlights of things that I learned:

There's a difference between the 22 bypass and the 17 bypass. Both bypass snarled 4-lanes on 17, but they don't both exactly go the same way.

Kaityn's my hero. Watching her in the ocean on a raft was a sight to behold. Whenever the waves took her under, she came up smiling. That's a good analogy for life.

It's good to be a 12-year-old boy. While waiting outside for a table at Preston's, one of the hostesses came outside to call a number. Landon's eyes fixed and his jaw seemed to drop ever so slightly. My guess was that she was about 20, and it was obvious to him and everyone else that she was blond, tan and cute. When I asked him about her, he grinned and blushed.

It's not necessary to wear a watch all the time. When we got to our condo, I took my watch off and didn't put it back on until we left. Even the clock in the den of the condo had a blank white face, with all the numbers in a jumble at the bottom. On the middle of the face were the words "Who cares?"

Here's a formula to remember: Eat all the time + eat really good sweet stuff + run on the beach just once = weight gain. I've got my work cut out for me.....

Old friends are the best kind. Chris and I have known each other for over 30 years, and he's probably the best friend I've ever had.

I learned that I like to read. Before leaving, I stopped by the Brentwood Library and checked out two books, both by Steve Martin. Susie laughed that I got two books, because I really don't like to read. But over the week, I found myself reading when I would normally watch TV. There were 5 TV's in the condo, so it wasn't like I didn't have access. But I read them both, Shopgirl and The Pleasure of My Company. I may have to start doing more of this reading thing.....

It can be scary to identify with characters in a book. In The Pleasure of My Company, Daniel Cambridge is an obsessive compulsive. Now, I don't do everything he did, like requiring that the total wattage of light bulbs be at precisely 1,125 at all times. But there were things he did that reminded me of myself. I won't get into them now; that's a topic for a whole other blog......

So, here I am, back in reality again. And speaking of reality, nothing brings you back so quickly as having your upstairs air conditioning unit go out on a holiday. So before I sweat any more, I'll retire to the downstairs......





No comments: