Friday, July 09, 2004

take me out to the ball game

Sara and I spent the evening at the ballpark watching the Nashville Sounds with her softball team. Her teammates were all given achievement certificates, and Sara won the "Mickey Mantle Award" for best outstanding overall play for the season. Since she was #7, the coach and I agreed this would be appropriate for her. She was a leader in fielding and hitting, at least tied for most home runs, and a leader in most grand slams for the season. She and her teammates can't wait for next season to start as they move to the next age division.

Susie and Meg spent the evening helping prepare the programs for Ellen's and Jeff's wedding this weekend with Susie's family. She had no desire to be all the ballpark, it's just not her thing. But Sara absolutely loved it! She and I could spend several nights a week at any ballpark. I was amazed at how she followed the game. We had access to the party deck during the game, but she said she couldn't see the game very well from there and wanted to go back to our seats. We stayed for the entire game, and enjoyed the rally the Sounds manufactured in the 9th. And even though they lost 5-3, it was great being there.

The weekend will be a busy one. Susie, Meg and Sara will be attending the bridesmaids' lunch around noon. Meg and Sara are both junior bridesmaids, and they're both very excited about the wedding. And, of course, they look beautiful in their dresses! Tonight is the rehearsal, followed by dinner at Walking Horse Farms. Susie and the girls have to be at church at 2:30, and I'll show up around 3:30. Mom and Dad should be in town by around 2:00; Mom made Sara's dress and wanted to see both granddaughters in the wedding. The wedding is at 6:00, followed by the reception at The Factory at 7:30. My sole responsibility is to officially introduce Ellen and Jeff for the first time at the reception. I think Susie's the only one nervous about this. I have no idea why......

I'll never forget meeting my then-soon-to-be-niece Ellen over 17 years ago. It was my first time to meet everyone in Susie's family, and it was also my then-soon-to-be-nephew's (Will) first birthday party. Ellen was completely adorable, and we hit it off right away. She had these beautiful green eyes, and I told Susie, "this child is going to be a knock-out when she gets older." She's 22 now, and I was right, as is always the case; I just have a knack for being right about things (yeah, right). I've seen her grow into a young woman who not only possesses outward beauty but also, more importantly, inner beauty. Her walk with God has always been obvious. I'm thankful that she and Jeff have found each other, and I pray that they would have an unbelievably happy marriage.

1 comment:

Clarissa said...

Just so you'll know, I'm still reading! I can NOT believe, and neither can my mother, that Ellen Shinnick is 22 years old. We always knew she'd be gorgeous, too -- she always was. That year-round tan, that shiny brown hair, those beautiful eyes, those long eyelashes.

Anyway, hope all goes perfectly today. Our thoughts are with you all, and Paula! Let me know how things are going for all of them.