Sunday, July 25, 2004

that's it, it's settled

Not that I didn't know this already, but let me just say that I must have the most thoughtful, sweet, loving wife in the world.  She planned a surprise for my birthday that was absolutely wonderful.  And the fact that she pulled it off is amazing.  See, there's a reason you'll never see Susie on the show "World Series of Poker".  She has no poker face.  Susie can't hide what she's feeling or thinking.
 
Susie made reservations for us at Sportsman's Lodge, where Chris, Kathy, Landon and Kaitlyn Moffitt were waiting for us.  Chris, as you may know, is the best friend I've ever had.  We met in Miss Hebb's 5th grade class, and have been friends for 30 years now.  They live in Kingsport, and traveled 300 miles just to be here for the weekend.  We had a great time together, and came back to the house for dessert.  Turns out that Kathy asked Susie while we were on vacation about what she was doing for my 40th.  Kathy said that they wanted to be here for it, regardless of what she planned on doing.  Having them there was probably the best present Susie could have gotten me.  That was surprise #1. 
 
The next day, Susie arranged for Shelby (her uncle) and Mark (her cousin Jennifer's husband) to take Chris and me to play golf.  This is the first time I've played golf on a Saturday in about 4 years.  We played at Pine Creek, and while it was a slow round, I managed to shoot an 80, which is my best score ever.  Sure, I could go on and on (as I did Saturday night) about how I royally botched up the 18th hole and missed breaking 80 for the first time in my life, but I won't.  Just being able to play on the weekend, and scoring that low (especially since I haven't touched my clubs in 2 months) were both great.  That was surprise #2.
 
Later that night, several family members and the Moffitts came over for a birthday party.  We all had a great time, swapping age jabs and things like that.  The yard was decorated with "over the hill" signs and such.  Very creative, I have to admit.  That was surprise #3.  
  
I've said this before, but I know that I've been truly blessed with a wife like Susie.  It's an amazing thing to have someone care about you so much that they would do something like this.  I don't know what I've done to deserve her, and I'm glad she's in my life.  I do love you, Susie.  However, there's one problem.  As nice as you were to me on my 40th, I've got my work cut out for next March 17......

1 comment:

Grant said...

Happy birthday.