Monday, November 03, 2008

it's for the best, but emotions are mixed.....

I got an email from Dad around 10:00 yesterday morning. ESPN was reporting that Phillip Fulmer would step down as Tennessee's head coach Monday afternoon. For the next hour or so, other emails and text messages from friends followed.

I listened to the press conference on my way home. I truly felt for Coach Fulmer. Here's a guy who invested a good portion of his life to the University of Tennessee. This isn't going to be an easy transition for him. He hinted that his coaching career may not be over, but it sure would seem odd to see him on another sidelines.

Do I think this is a good move? Absolutely. Do I wish Coach Fulmer had been able to win another national championship and then retire? Yeah, I do. But that wasn't going to happen anytime soon. The program needs new direction. Now Mike Hamilton has a huge task ahead of him. He needs to find the next "Bruce Pearl" for the football program.

Thanks for the great ride, Coach.....

No comments: