Thursday, January 11, 2007

pool and tv in the afternoons.....

I didn't do it every day, but most days after school were spent at Stevie Keesling's house. The Keeslings had a pool table in their basement and I loved to play pool. I was never all that good at it, but we didn't have a pool table so that made it cool. That plus the fact that Stevie's mom would let us drink Coke.

While we played pool we watched afternoon television. This was before there were 873 channels with all kinds of choices. One of the local stations would run old sitcoms from the 60's - Gilligan's Island, Gomer Pyle, Andy Griffith, The Addams Family, The Munsters.

I thought about this yesterday because I read that Yvonne DeCarlo, who played
Lily Munster, passed away this past Monday. (That just leaves Eddie and Marilyn as the only surviving cast members, for anyone keeping up with this.) It wasn't exactly cerebral comedy, you didn't have to think about it alot. It was, at times, just plain stupid. But we were 9-year-old boys. Stupid was what we knew. And we loved the show.

Every now and then I'll catch an episode of The Munsters on television and watch a little of it. It's good to feel 9-years-old from time to time. I wonder what Stevie's up to these days.....

No comments: