Wednesday, January 24, 2007

dissed by a comic book store geek.....

A couple of Saturdays ago I decided to stop by a nearby trading card store to look for some football cards. Over the next several months, we're going to turn our bonus room into a University of Tennessee room. I found some trading card frames on e-Bay so now I'm in the process of searching for some good UT player cards.

I walk into the store and I saw all kinds of Star Wars stuff, Duel Masters stuff, Pokemon stuff, and all other kinds of stuff that didn't have anything to do with football or any other kind of sport. There were 3 or 4 guys in their late-teens/early-20's huddled around a computer monitor behind the counter. None looked like they had shaved for several days, and they obviously weren't too concerned about their hygiene. I did a quick look around the store and realized there was nothing here but, uh, stuff that didn't interest me in the least. But the bride is always after me to "ask someone" whenever I can't find something in a store, so I did. I went up to the counter and one of the non-shaven guys looked up from the monitor.

"Could I help you, sir?"

"You don't carry sports cards of any kind, do you?"

And then it happened. Maybe he didn't mean it. Or maybe it's just how comic book/trading card store employees are. They probably have a training school that teaches them how to react whenever a sports fan asks them if they have sports trading cards. But this was his reaction.

"Uh, {snicker} no, we don't {chortle}."

So me and my sports-loving 42-year-old frame left the comic book store. I think even the life-sized cutout of Darth Maul smirked at me as I left.....

No comments: