Friday, February 09, 2007

an unwelcomed commuter.....

Sitting at a light yesterday morning, waiting to get on the on-ramp for I-65, I saw him. I could sense that others noticed him, too. An almost-inaudible, collective sigh escaped the mouths of us all. Remember when you were little and went to play with your friends and you had to bring your younger brother or sister with you? Remember how that altered what you said, what you did, how you did it? Same thing here. Except instead of a little brother who could only squeal to your parents, it's a state trooper who could stop you and give you a ticket for speeding.

As we merged onto I-65, everyone peered in their rearview mirrors, careful to obey the speed limit in the construction zone. We quickly become one large clump of cars. Suddenly from the back of the pack, a Hummer took the far-left lane and sped past us all. I waited for the cop to turn on the blue lights and pull him over. But it never happened. He simply stayed in his lane for a couple of miles and exited. (Funny thing is there's a new Duncan Donuts at that exit. I'm not judging, I'm just pointing it out.)

As soon as the state trooper was 100 yards off the interstate, you would have thought someone had dropped the green flag after a caution with only 3 laps to go.....

No comments: