Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Distance is 9243 kilometers or 5744 miles or 4991 nautical miles.....


This was the headline on the page that generated when I checked the distance from Nashville to Istanbul, Turkey. No, the OFIT isn't thinking about moving. But I have a friend who moved there recently.
About a month ago, I got an e-mail from my friend Annette. She said she was moving to Istanbul to be a high school math teacher in a private school. A couple of years ago (might have been longer, I'm not sure), Annette's son and his family moved there to do some work. So this wasn't a random move. Of course, over time most of us figure out that nothing in life is really random at all.

I received an e-mail update from Annette earlier this week. She seems to be settling down and into a routine. She's enjoyed her in-service schedule and meeting with the other teachers. Classes start this week, and as she says, nothing can spoil school more than kids. She said that was a common saying among teachers with 20+ years of experience. I was amused by the fact that a small jar of Skippy peanut butter costs almost $7 there in a local store; I think we bought a 6-pound "vat" of Peter Pan at Sam's a couple of weeks ago for less than that. (Uh, we like peanut butter at our house.)

To me, the amazing thing about this whole story is the fact that Annette came out of retirement for this new tour of duty. She's been retired from the Metro Nashville school system for (Annette, if I get this number wrong, please forgive me) about 20 years now. And she knows she's where she's supposed to be.

Note to Annette's students - she may try to act mean, but she's really a softie; don't let the red hair fool you.....

No comments: