Wednesday, May 17, 2006

oh, so close.....


I've never had a hole-in-one. I've come close twice. Same course, same hole, just a week apart. I hit the flag stick both times.

I had the opportunity to play in a golf tournament today. Out of 16 teams, our foursome came in 2nd at 9 under. Not too bad considering the soggy conditions. I hit the ball pretty well in spite of the heavy air. But one of my worst shots of the day almost turned into my best shot ever.

We were on the tee at number 3 of the President's Reserve at Hermitage Golf Course. The hole was playing about 170. None of our irons were traveling too well through the thick air, so we were all having to hit at least one more club than normal. I've got a 9 wood that I use every now and then so I decided to hit it on this hole. I teed the ball up a little lower than normal, trying to keep myself from popping it up. I caught it thin and started laughing immediately. It was an absolutely horrible looking shot.

The ball never got more than 8 feet of the ground. It took a hop towards the right and barely missed the bunker near the front of the green. Then it started rolling on the green. One of my partners said, "It's going in the hole!" It got closer. Then closer. I started to believe it myself. It went over the right side of the cup and rolled about 4 feet past. I did, however, make the putt for a natural birdie.

I hope to one day post a picture here of the ball I used to ace a hole. But if and when I do make a hole-in-one, regardless of how my shot looked, my story will be that its flight was majestic and breathtaking.....

No comments: