Wednesday, May 24, 2006

assessment of the finale.....

So last night was it. The final time Taylor and Katharine will perform for our votes. Here's my take on the show:

Katharine's songs:

Black Horse and the Cherry Tree - I thought she sounded better this time than when she first performed it. Still not crazy about it when compared to KT Tunstall's version, but good.

Somewhere Over the Rainbow - Very good, but I disagree with the judges. I don't think it was as good as the first time. One of the negatives for Katharine on this song was that she did it so well last week, there was nowhere to go but down.

My Destiny - The song was horrible, and it was obvious that Katharine wasn't comfortable with it. The lyrics were trite. When Randy started with the "you look incredible" comment, you knew the judges weren't crazy about it. I actually felt a little sorry for her after this song.

Taylor's songs:

Living for the City - This was my second favorite performance of the year, right behind "Taking it to the Streets". It's also one of my favorite songs of all-time. He sang it better this time by a mile. Home run right out of the gate. (Like how I mixed 2 different sports into one analogy?)

Levon - Another one of my all-time favorites. (Is there any wonder I'm a fan?) He seemed a bit reserved, almost like he was holding back on the song. There were no "hey"s and "woo"s like the first time he performed it. Still a good job.

Do I Make You Proud - Slightly better song than what Katharine had to work with. He took the song and made something out of it. Simon simply said, "You've just won American Idol." I concur.

Just before the show started, I told Meg that nerves would make the difference in the outcome. They did. Katharine looked scared all night, and Taylor looked confident. Taylor was there to win, Katharine seemed to just not want to lose. Both deserved to be there, but one definitely stood out from the other.

Tonight's 2-hour show should be very good. Burt Bacharach and his songs will be on hand, with Dionne Warwick singing "That's What Friends are For". Bucky will sing "Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head", and Kevin (Chicken Little) will sing "What's New Pussycat". Paris will perform with one of the bride's favorites, Al Jarreau. Chris Daughtry will sing with Live; Elliott does a duet with Mary J. Blige; and Katharine sings with Meatloaf (strange combination, but as Simon said last night, what do I know?). For some reason, they're very tight-lipped about Taylor's duet partner. Early speculation were names like Rod Stewart, Bruce Springsteen, Billy Joel, Joe Cocker and Elton John. Then it was mentioned that he'd sing with a female artist who was very popular in the mid-to-late-90's. Maybe Bonnie Raitt or Sheryl Crow? What about Prince? (I kid.)

My thanks to the girls for their assistance on the phones last night. After 4 hours of voting, I'm cautiously optimistic. And if there's any justice or logic in this world, Mr. Hicks should come away the winner tonight.....

No comments: