Friday, November 04, 2005

had a tevye-esque moment last night.....

There are pictures of the girls all over our house, all taken at various ages. But some of my favorites are the ones in the foyer, on the right, just before walking into the den. We took them at Mark's and Jennifer's house in Nashville about five years ago. I had set the mode to "sephia" on the camera, so they have this bronze/antique look to them. Meg's hair is shorter, Sara's is in braided pigtails. Both girls were missing teeth.

During a commercial of a show we were watching, I went into the kitchen. On my way back, the bride and I crossed paths. I put my arms around her and looked at the pictures on the wall. Thinking about how young the girls looked I said, "Boys call these same little girls now."

As I went back to my recliner, I started thinking that ten years from now I could be a grandfather. A very young looking grandfather, but a grandfather none the less. Not that I'm complaining. It's just that sometimes the "now" seems to contain much less time than it used to, and the "then" seems much too far away.

My personality is such that I'm almost always looking forward rather than existing in the moment. Going past those pictures last night made me think that might I need to work on that a little more.....

No comments: