Monday, July 13, 2009

air hockey, suicides and couples skates.....


Last Friday morning, I was sitting at my desk working on a quarterly report. My regular internet radio station was having connection issues, so I was listening to an iTunes radio station that played hits from the 70's.

I heard the flutes from the opening notes of Oliva Newton John's "Have You Never Been Mellow", and I was no longer at my desk. Or in 2009 for that matter. In my mind, just as vivid as could be, I was in Kingsport at Skate Inn, 1975.


I usually had three things I wanted to accomplish whenever I went to Skate Inn: I wanted to play air hockey; I wanted a suicide (all their Pepsi products mixed into one cup); and I wanted to have a couples skate with a cute girl. I was usually 2 out of 3, with the third one being left undone.


The song ended and I was back in 2009 staring at a computer screen.....

No comments: