Thursday, April 24, 2008

well above average.....


The average length of marriage in the United States, according to one figure from the National Center for Health Statistics, is about 7 1/2 years. 20 years ago today, the bride and I were married at Judson Baptist Church in Nashville. She's the most patient, sweet, beautiful woman I've ever met. Especially the patient part.

Here are a few of my favorite quotes on marriage:

Rocky Balboa - "I got gaps; you got gaps; we fill each other's gaps."

Billy Graham - When asked his secret of love, being married fifty-four years to the same person, he said, "Ruth and I are happily incompatible."

Frank Burns - "I happen to believe in the sanctity of marriage - no matter how ugly or disgusting it gets."

So for all the ugly and disgusting things my lovely bride has had to put up with over these past 20 years, there have been many more good things we've been able to share. We've laughed alot, cried alot, and we've spent plenty of time in between the laughing and crying where we're just comfortable with each other. To me that's life, and a good one at that.

Happy Anniversary, babe!

1 comment:

Joel said...

That was sweet, I enjoyed that! :-)