Thursday, December 07, 2006

this shuttle service has a bone to pick with metro.....

Tuesday night I offered to chauffeur the bride, Sara and two of her friends to the Cheetah Girls concert Wednesday night. The bride despises driving in downtown Nashville. I figured I could pass the time with a movie.

So we left Franklin at around 5:50. Dropping them off was no big deal. A little more backed up using the back streets than I thought it would be, but I was able to pull right up to the curb at the GEC and let them out. I took some back streets getting out of downtown and made my way to the 100 Oaks area. I did a little Christmas shopping then saw Borat. (Unless you really feel the need to spend full-price for a movie ticket, wait until it comes out on DVD. It did have some really funny moments, but I think most people could wait. And it's mostly a "guy" movie. However, I did really enjoy watching the previews to Reno 911: Miami.) Just as the movie was ending, the bride texted me and said the concert was over. Good timing.

Getting off the interstate and to about 5 blocks from the GEC was fine. From there on, it was gridlock. Then I get to Broadway where I planned to pick up the 4 young ladies and the Metro cops had it blocked off for 2-3 blocks. Great. Very nice. Seems that everyone had the same idea as me. So I spent the next 20 minutes trying to get somewhat near the back of the GEC. Thank goodness for cell phones. I ended up picking them up a couple of blocks behind the GEC.

I've never seen so many 6-year-old girls wearing leopard print outfits in all my life. All over the place. Up and down Broadway.

There were alot lf out-of-towners and out-of-staters here for the concert. For these people, I'd like to offer a few suggestions. First, there are lines that you are to stay behind when the traffic lights turn red. What are traffic lights? Those were the things hanging above the streets near at the intersections. They weren't Chirstmas decorations. Also, please don't let the sight of pavement scare/confuse you when you're driving. You may only be accustomed to gravel and/or dirt roads where you come from, but here in what we call a "city" we travel on pavement on a daily basis, and it's really not that big of a deal.

Other than dealing with their angry cab driver after the concert last night, I think the girls all had a good time. Sara had been so excited about this for months. And sharing the concert with the bride and her two friends made it even better.....

No comments: