Friday, December 01, 2006

tried to get it down to 10 but i couldn't.....

December 1, 2006. Where did the last 11 months go? And where did the 70 degree weather go that was just here?

This cold front makes it feel more like it's time for Christmas. It's the way it should feel this time of year. The way it should feel when you're in your car or at home listening to Christmas music.

I started thinking about my top 10 favorite Christmas songs. I whittled it down as far as I could and ended up with 13. So here's my top 10 plus 3, in no particular order:

Same Old Lang Syne, Dan Fogelberg - yeah, it's a chick kind of song. So?

Carol of the Bells, Trans-Siberian Orchestra - it's like the handbell choir meets Pink Floyd.

Christmastime is Here, Vince Guaradi Trio - soothing, smooth jazz.

Tennessee Christmas, Amy Grant - living here in Tennessee, it had to make the list.

There's No Place Like Home for the Holidays, Perry Como - feel-good kind of song.

Baby It's Cold Outside, Elf Soundtrack - makes me think of Will Ferrell as a women's shower stalker, but a great song nonetheless.

I'll Be Home for Christmas, Bing Crosby - another feel-good song.

Entire Album, The Little Drummer Boy, Living Voices - we had this on 8-track when I was growing up. It was the only 8-track Christmas music we had so it played over and over for a solid month. I got the album for Mom and Dad last year at Christmas and I've got a copy of it on CD. May be my favorite music. Not for the quality, but for the memories.

Christmas in Dixie, Alabama - everyone from the south HAS to like this song. It's the law.

Merry Christmas Darling, The Carpenters - another chick song. So sue me.

It's Beginning to Look Alot Like Christmas, Johnny Mathis - usually one of the first songs I hear every hear. Johnny Mathis rules!

Please Come Home for Christmas, Eagles - I never get tired of this song. Ever. Sung by Meg's favorite football team.

Celebrate Me Home, Kenny Loggins - I played deep grooves into his "Live" album in high school, and this song was one of the reasons.

Narrowly missing this list was the classic, Walkin' Round in Women's Underwear. That was a tough one to cut, but I had to be ruthless. Besides, who's ever heard of a top 14 list.....

No comments: