Thursday, June 08, 2006

when really good isn't good enough.....

I had the opportunity to play in the 103 WKDF Cystic Fibrosys tournament yesterday. It was a beautiful day, the weather couldn't have been better. While none of us on our team would ever be considered "A" golfers, we played respectable. We got on a roll and made 5 birdies in a row at one point.

On our 11th hole of the day, #3 of the Governer's Retreat at Hermitage, I stepped up to hit first. I think it was playing about 137, so I hit an 8 iron. As soon as I hit it, I thought it was going to be close. When it landed, it looked like it was about 2-3 feet from the pin, but it's sometimes hard to tell from the tee. Sometimes it'll look like you're right on the flag stick, then you get to the green and you're 12 feet away. So I didn't get excited, I was just pleased to be pretty close. As we drove up, one of my partners let out an "OH, YEAH!" I walked over and saw my ball sitting about 8-10 inches from the cup. I signed the card on the marker (closest to the pin on this hole was supposed to win something) and saw that I had gotten it closer than 2 other guys. And one of those guys was Craig Hentrich, the punter for the Titans. So I've got that goin' for me. One of my partners said, "Man, you've got this one. NOBODY'S going to put one closer!"

About three holes later, we heard a group celebrating a few holes back. That happens alot during a scramble, guys cheering for a good eagle or birdie putt. I didn't think much about it. We're in the fairway on the next hole, and a guy from our group gets a phone call. I hear him say, "You're kidding me!" Turns out the cheering was for a hole-in-one on #3. One of the guys in our extended group (there were three groups of 4) thought he hit it pretty close, but didn't know just how close until they walked up on the green and saw the ball in the cup.

It just goes to show you that no matter how well you might do, there's always someone better out there. But that's OK with me. I'm getting closer to that hole-in-one all the time.....

No comments: