Monday, June 12, 2006

top 5 chick flicks that I actually like.....




We watched “Miss Congeniality” over the Memorial Day weekend. I’ve used the line “You want to kiss me, you want to hug me” several times on the bride over the past couple of weeks whenever I’m good and sweaty from working in the yard or after a softball game.

So I’m sitting there watching and enjoying “MG” when it hits me – this is a chick flick, and I actually like it! (The guy I coach softball with said that he did one of our game’s line-ups while pretending to watch “Must Love Dogs” with his wife.) Is there something wrong with me? Should I question my masculinity? I immediately curled up into a fetal position and wept openly. (OK, I made that last part up, but it seemed to fit so I went with it.)

Later I started thinking about other chick flicks that I like. Here’s my top 5:

5. Elizabethtown – Excellent movie, excellent soundtrack. Small southern town life at its best.

4. Father of the Bride - Love is wonderful. Until it happens to your only daughter."I used to think a wedding was a simple affair. Boy and girl meet, they fall in love, he buys a ring, she buys a dress, they say I do. I was wrong. That's getting married. A wedding is an entirely different proposition. I know. I've just been through one. Not my own, my daughter's."

3. Miss Congeniality – Who wouldn’t like Sandra Bullock in this movie? She’s an attractive tough girl who turns into a beauty queen while maintaining her edge. Michael Caine plays a great role.

2. Bull Durham – Yeah, I know, it’s a baseball movie. But Susan Sarandon’s in it, so it’s a chick flick my default just because she’s in it. Best part of the movie is the scene where they try to decide if candlesticks are an appropriate wedding gift while on the mound.

1. Jerry Maguire – Granted, Tom Cruise is now officially a nut case. However, in 1996 he seemed normal. Cuba Gooding Jr. stole the movie with his portrayal of the character Rod Tidwell.

OK, that’s enough of that. Think I’ll watch "Die Hard" a couple of times tonight to sort of cleanse the palate….

No comments: