Friday, June 23, 2006

if i squint, i can see a small light.....


I started running again this week. According to the bride, I picked a bad week to start up again, because the temperatures have been in the low-to-mid-90's with plenty of humidity. (For some reason she won't let me leave to run until she can call our life insurance agent to make sure my policy is current.) Actually, I don't mind the heat. As long as I'm dressed for it, it's no big deal. And there's something about coming back from a long run or coming in from working in the yard and being all sweaty that makes me feel like I've accomplished something.

I'm just working on a mile right now. There's a point in the run when I start to give out, but then I spot a "marker" that lets me know I can make it. When I see that street sign about 1/10 of a mile from our driveway, I get a little spark and I run a little faster to the end.

Looking at the calendar/planner on my computer this morning, I spotted another kind of marker that put a little spring in my step. I got a call from someone about a lunch meeting next week and clicked over to check out what I had going on for the week. Then I saw it - next Thursday's my last day of work until the 10th of July. On the section of the screen for Friday was one my favorite words, and probably my favorite 8-letter word - vacation. I mean, it's not like I'd forgotten about vacation, it's just that seeing it gave me a good feeling and a sense of relief.

There it is, that small light at the end of the tunnel.....

No comments: