Friday, June 09, 2006

what an addiction.....

I overheard a lady say this the other day:

“I am soooo addicted to Avon deodorant. I’ve tried to go back to my other deodorant, but I just can’t give up my Avon.”

I keep imagining her hunched over in the corner of a dimly lit room with the ball of the deodorant container wedged half-way up her nose saying things like, “Don’t judge me! You think you’re better than me? Well, you’re not! Now get out of here!!!!!”

MedicineNet.com defines addiction as follows:

Every addictive substance induces pleasant states or relieves distress. Continued use of the addictive substance induces adaptive changes in the brain that lead to tolerance, physical dependence, uncontrollable craving and, all too often, relapse. Dependence is at such a point that stopping is very difficult and causes severe physical and mental reactions from withdrawal. The risk of addiction is in part inherited. Genetic factors, for example, account for about 40% of the risk of alcoholism. The genetic factors predisposing to addiction are not yet fully understood.

So there’s a chance that someone in this lady’s family was addicted to Avon deodorant in the past. Maybe she didn’t first buy it during recess from a shady Avon lady hanging around the elementary school playground. Perhaps she was genetically predisposed. Or maybe the Avon deodorant simply induces a pleasant state or relieves stress for her. We may never know the reason for this poor woman’s addiction.

So if you’re reading this and you work for Avon, just know that your deodorant has another person on the hook. I hope you can sleep at night…..

No comments: