Wednesday, December 14, 2005

mature beyond her years.....

I was like most kids about this time every year when I was younger. I knew what I wanted for Christmas, and I'd cover all my bases by telling both my parents and Santa. But I took it a step further by not only itemizing my list, but by also including the prices then figuring the tax. I didn't know if Santa had tax-exemption status or not but I wasn't taking any chances. (The word you're searching for is thorough, not anal-retentive. You're welcome.)

In Sunday's message, our pastor told about a young girl in our church. She decided that she didn't want any presents this year. In fact, she's asking everyone who would normally give her a present to just give her money. I know, you're probably thinking "What a brat!", but there's more. She's asking for money because Wednesday night she's renting a limousine, and along with her father they're picking up 12 homeless men from the downtown Nashville mission. From there, they're going to Famous Dave's for ribs and barbecue. Then for two hours they're going to be driven around in the limo and look at some of the Nashville-area Christmas lights. Once they're finished, the limo will bring the men back to our church when they will spend the night out of the cold and in our warm church building.

We all sat there, around 1,500 people, with our jaws down around our navels. The pastor said he was actually a little jealous that he didn't come up with the idean himself.

They say that one person can't make a difference. To 12 homeless men in Nashville, one young lady from Franklin will make a big difference this Christmas.....

No comments: