Monday, October 31, 2005

it's not you, it's me.....

Dear Phillip Fulmer and Jeff Fisher,

I have an apology to make. I've watched your teams' games and gotten upset because we're losing this season. I've yelled at the television, complained to others about your poor execution, and even posted to some bulletin boards out of anger. But the lovely bride brought something to my attention yesterday and now it's all clear. She said, "You know, our teams just aren't doing well this year." That's when it hit me - it's not you, it's me. I've jinxed both of your teams by rooting for them.

Coach Fulmer, it has nothing to do with the following:

lack of discipline; the inability to name and stick with one quarterback; injuries; a lackluster offensive scheme that everyone in the country figured out years ago; complete absense of leadership from the players; bad luck; dropped passes and fumbles; poor routes run by the receivers; or slow play-calling.

Coach Fisher, it has nothing to do with:

pass plays that average 8 yards per completion; a defensive secondary that, if it were a cheese, it would be Swiss cheese; young, undisciplined players; mistakes made by veterans at crucial moments in the game; an offensive line's inability to block; or blowing up the team on the off-season.

Again, guys, it's my fault. Apparently the very fact that I am on your side is causing you to lose. So I'm going to conduct an experiment next weekend. I'll not watch either of your games, and maybe that will help you beat Notre Dame and Cleveland. No, I'm not looking forward to missing either game, but if it helps your chances by having me not watch, I'll do it.

Your loyal fan,

Wade Stapleton

PS - If both teams continue to lose, here's a couple of names to think about - David Cutcliffe and Matt Leinart.....

No comments: