Friday, June 11, 2004

To sleep, perchance to dream.....

The year was 1987. I had just met Susie, the love of my life. Remember how things feel when you meet that person? You're full of energy, and sleep is something you get if there's time for it. This was my normal routine:

Get up around 6:30, shower, etc.
Eat breakfast
Leave for work around 7:20
Work from 8:00 until 5:00
Leave work, head over to Susie's for dinner
After dinner, we'd go out and shop, see a movie, stuff like that
Back to her house to watch TV until about midnight, then say "goodnight" for 15-20 minutes
I'd head back to my apartment and usually get into bed sometime between 1:00 and 2:00
Start the whole routine over the next day

Now, you have to remember, I wasn't even 23 when this all started. My only priority was to spend time with Susie. And the adrenaline was always very high, because we've got that new-love thing going on.

17 years later, my to-do list has grown, and my tolerance for 20-hour-days has disappeared. The days of just hanging out after supper are pretty much gone, at least for now. Susie and I now run a small taxi service for our daughters. But that's not all bad, either. For those of you who are married with children, stay with me here.

You see, as children get older, their opportunities for social activities increase. For me, the trifecta is this: one child is spending the night with a friend, another has a combination birthday party/sleepover, and Susie and I can have the evening to ourselves. And how to we spend that extra "just-us" time? (You may want to get a pen and write this down.) We go to Sam's Club and/or Target! Yessiree, we know how to keep the fire burning!

Maybe this sounds very boring to some of you, but it's really not. You see, it took me awhile to get to this place, but I finally figured out something - it's all about just spending time together. Whether it's on a tropical island or watching our daughters at a softball game, it's important to do things together. There will be time for cruises and trips for just the two of us. But for right now, things are great in the canned fruit aisle at Sam's.

I'll close by congratulating both Meg and Sara for their great softball seasons. Sara came into her own this year at pitcher and as a batter, and her team won more than they lost. Plus, I had alot of fun coaching. Meg got back into the sport after a 5-year hiatus and did well. Her team capped off an undefeated season by winning the championship last night, 12-4. As much as I'll miss being at the ballpark, our evenings will be a little less rushed. And maybe that will provide some more time to rest, and a little more "just-us" time for Susie and me......

No comments: