Wednesday, June 16, 2004

fathers day is coming.....

In the fourth chapter of Joshua, God tells Joshua to have 12 men take stones from the Jordan river and to carry them to their place of rest for the evening. The stones were to serve as a memorial for the nation, so that when their children asked about the stones, they could then tell them about how God was faithful to them in allowing them to cross on dry land through the Jordan.

Everyone has someone who has acted as a "stone" for them at one time or another; someone who can serve as a reminder of how God has worked in their life. For me, the choice is obvious - it's my dad. He's someone I've been able to look to as an example of what a man, husband and father should all be. Is he perfect? No, and he'd be the first to tell you so himself. But he's taught me life-lesson after life-lesson, all the while using God as the focus.

I've been told that having children of your own makes you understand your relationship with God that much more, and it's true. I look at my daughters, realize how much I love them, and understand my dad's love for me. Then that makes me realize how much God actually loves me. Matthew 6:26 says "Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?"

As fathers day nears, I'm very thankful for my dad and for being able to have that close relationship. I have friends whose fathers have passed on, and I know there's a void for them. One day I'll be in their shoes, and I'll feel that same emptiness. I can't worry about that now - I'm just hopeful for more of the same for years to come.

No comments: