Friday, June 18, 2004

daughters

I always kid with friends that I don't have a chance at home. I'm the lone male living with three females. Sure, Wally, our dog, is a male, but only by physical definition. If he were able to watch television, I'm convinced that he would not only NOT channel surf but that he would also watch nothing but Lifetime and Oxygen. But I digress.....

Being a father to two beautiful girls, Meg and Sara, is one of my greatest joys. Sure, there are times when Susie tells me more than I want to know (at which times I cover my ears and start singing "la-la-la-la"), but all in all it's good. I have the privilege of watching these two girls, with very different personalities, grow up before my eyes. I've been blessed in that both daughters are very healthy and can do just about whatever they want to do without any physical limitations.

I remember bringing them both home from the hospital. With Meg, it was July 4, 2000, and it was over 100 degrees. We lived in a small house that didn't have central heat/air, and it got a little stuffy in her room at times. Sara came home from the hospital on March 19, 1995, to a little bit nicer house and much cooler weather. They were both so small back then. Now they're in and out of the house on a constant basis. Meg starts high school this fall, and Sara will finish up elementary school this next year. Why do I suddenly feel like Tevye?

Thank you, Meg and Sara, for making my life this much richer. Thanks for allowing me to just be myself around you. Thanks for bringing out bedtime-story-characters like Pinky, Sam and others. And finally, thank you, Susie, for not only bringing our daughters into the world but for also being my partner in raising them. Now, we need to talk about what you can and can't say around me regarding the physical changes in the girls.....

3 comments:

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

EXACTLY!!!! I have always said that as soon as I walk in their rooms and see a copy of "Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret" that I'd have to jump off a large building. You're a great writer and always a huge encouragement. Your girls are lucky to have you as their daddy. I know Suzy is as sweet as they come, but my guess is, those girls get a large portion of what makes them so wonderful from you, my dear brother.
Love you! BST

Clarissa said...

Just had to laugh at the date you brought Meg home -- July 4, 2000. Are you sure about that? If that's true, then she's awfully young to be heading to high school ....

wstaple said...

No, she's just gifted.....I guess it was 1990 instead of 2000. She goes to Cougar Camp, a three-day orientation for incoming Centennial freshman, toward the end of July.....