Thursday, June 10, 2004

Are we there yet?

What is it about wanting to remember more of the everyday events as we get older? Maybe it's shows like "Seinfeld" that made this more popular. (Be prepared, there will definitely be Seinfeld references in this blog. I'm thinking I could write a Sunday school curriculum based on the show just like those guys in Alabama did for "The Andy Griffith Show." Yeah, that might be a bit of a stretch...) Remember when Jerry and George were trying to pitch their show to NBC? They had put off writing the pilot, so they walk into the meeting with basically nothing (other than the butler episode, which they thought was lame, but they ended up using it for the pilot because the execs thought it was hilarious). They tell the execs that the show is about nothing. George says, "What did you do today? That's a show!" "Seinfeld's" whole premise was that it was a show about nothing. But maybe it wasn't really about nothing.....

Maybe we pay too little attention to the everyday occurrences in life. I know I'm guilty of that. I have a tendency to look forward to things rather than to enjoy the moment when it gets here. I always tell my wife, Susie, that I have two major events that I look forward to every year - our annual beach vacation and Christmas. When one is over, I start looking forward to the other. Maybe I'm the only person who does this, but I doubt it. Maybe there are others who don't take it to the extreme that I do, but they probably overlook blessings that we consider "givens." That's what I'm working on - being thankful for the "givens" in life to the point where I don't consider them automatic.

Here's a few things for which I'm very thankful:

My relationship with Christ - who else is going to love us at our absolute worst? Who else would offer that kind of grace?

My wife - 16 years and counting. God knew exactly what and who I needed in a mate.

My daughters - Meg, almost 14, and Sara, 9. True, they don't meet me at the door with cheers like they did years ago, but I wouldn't trade them for anything.

My parents - I came along 10 1/2 months after they were married, so I've almost always been a part of their marriage.

My sisters - Devonna and Julie. Here's to all those times I jumped out from around the corner or hid in your rooms to scare you.

My extended family - Ken, Hattie, Mike, Paula, Ellen, Jeff, Will, Shelby, Helen, Jennifer and Mark. I think I was a little more than they bargained for in a spouse for Susie. They're a little more reserved than my family, but I've brought them along over the years.

Friends - way too many to mention over the years.

Other things for which I'm grateful - great physical health of my family; food on the table; a home that keeps us cool in the summer and warm in the winter; my job; good neighbors; my daughters' friends; our church and Sunday school class, "The Cracked Pots". I'm sure I left out several more.....

Having said all that, we leave for North Myrtle Beach with the Moffitt's two weeks from Saturday.....I can't wait! OK, so old habits die hard....

No comments: