Wednesday, September 30, 2009

not quite sure about this.....

I heard about a new Christmas album this morning on the way into work. Now, you know me - I love Christmas and anything having to do with Christmas. But the announcement of this album left me scratching my head. Here's part of the release from the band's web site:

Not So Silent Night Christmas Album

REO SPEEDWAGON PUTS THEIR OWN UNIQUE SOUND TO CHRISTMAS CLASSICS WITH NOT SO SILENT NIGHT CHRISTMAS ALBUM DUE OUT OCTOBER 27th

Rock superstars REO Speedwagon will be releasing a new Christmas album, Not So Silent Night...Christmas With REO Speedwagon, on October 27th on Sony Legacy Recordings, produced by Joe Vannelli, along with associate producer and lead singer Kevin Cronin. The album will feature 13 Christmas classics with a unique REO Speedwagon musical twist.

"We are really excited to bring something brand new for our fans to enjoy with their families, just in time for the holidays," said Cronin. "We are as proud and passionate about this project as we have been about any album we have ever made. We hope that this music is as much fun for our fans to listen to as it has been for us to create. The holiday spirit is alive in the REO family, and we wish the same for yours."


I like REO Speedwagon's music. The songs"Can't Fight This Feeling", "Keep On Loving You", "Roll With The Changes", "Ridin' The Storm Out", "Take It On The Run", and "Time For Me To Fly" are all part of the soundtrack of my youth. But a Christmas album? Somehow it just doesn't fit.


I reminds me of something Jeff and I used to do when we were growing up. We had a few people from our church choir who would do solos from time to time. They were good, but they had "church solo" voices and that was about it. We would imitate certain church soloists as they would sound singing contemporary music. The two just didn't go together. The thought of a certain male soloist doing Rod Stewart's "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy" or Clapton's "Lay Down Sally" still makes me laugh.


Maybe REO's Christmas album will be a big hit. Maybe it will sound great. But for some reason I just can't wrap my head around it. Oh, well, 86 days until Christmas either way.....

No comments: