Friday, October 08, 2004

teaching and grace

Those of us who receive grace on a regular basis may not appreciate it that much, or as much as we really should. How do we react to those we come in contact with every day who are doing things we "don't approve of"? Do we extend grace, or do we simply judge and/or condemn?

When I was younger, lethargy set in anytime there was homework or a school project to be done. The only time I excelled at something was when I thought there was something in it for me. I realize now that I actually did have a vested interest in my education, but back then there just wasn't a connection. Now we're trying to keep that from happening with our kids. Both daughters continue to bring us so much joy, but there are times when being a parent isn't alot of fun. I'd love to be liked all the time by my girls, but sometimes rules and boundaries are necessary. Making corrections sometimes hurts, but hopefully it helps to prevent that same pain later on in life for them. Part of me says that I shouldn't be so hard on them because, after all, I used to be the same way. But, and I hate to sound like a parent here by using parent-logic, it's different. It's my job to take care of my daughters and see that they have the tools to succeed in life. Still, it's not always alot of fun.

A friend of mine posted on his blog yesterday about possibly doing an AIDS walk, and wanted to get opinions from others on whether or not he should do it. The "WWJD" logic was used, and he pointed out that he would not be supporting the gay lifestyle, but rather supporting AIDS research. Plus, he pointed out that gays aren't the only ones who are contracting AIDS. I've gotta be honest with you, I'm not sure what I would do. My gut reaction is to avoid something like that completely, because it would "appear" that my walking would support the gay lifestyle. But is that extending grace? It's a comfort-level thing. I guess I'm just glad I'm not in his shoes, having to make this decision.

All I know is that I've had grace poured out on me for years, and I try to remind myself of that on a constant basis. I try not to be so hard on people and their shortcomings, because I know mine are innumerable. And I try to remember where I'd be without grace. A chilling thought.....

No comments: